Sappho's Threnody

I am a sin, 'tis is true
I have let instincts guide me
I have dreamt of flying like Icarus
I have seen and loved Odysseus
I have been Artemis with mind for nothing else
And I have had no control..
I have let it be, even been proud of it.
I am a sin, 'tis is true. I have cared not for the world
I have clung to what I shouldn't have
I have clung to what I couldn't have
I have cried for all the people of Greece
And I have laughed with them all
I have loved them like my children
I have loved them all, yes
Like my brother and father and husband.
And I have cried for them.
I have screamed for them, I have screamed till the Heavens were ablaze
Yes, I have screamed at them.
I have loved them too much
Loved them without exception
And I have cared not what they wanted.
I am a sin, 'tis is true.

I will go about playing my lyre
I will run away till they think of me no more
I will run away till they love me.
I will run away into the deep, dark forests
And I will never come out.
I will go about playing my lyre
Till the strings break and the Muses cry
Till I run about wild tearing at my hair.
I will go about playing my lyre 
Till I forget the majesty of Athens
And the perseverance of Sparta.
The rugged plains of Thessaly, the waters of Crete
And the fumes at Delphi.
I will go about playing my lyre
Till I forget how beautiful people are...

Yes, I am a sin, 'tis is true.
So I will just sit by the Lethe, very still
Till Charon comes and claims me.


- Smarika

0 comments: