Lament

I never dared to care too much, I saw           
Only what I wanted to see
I didn’t fight for what I believed in              
Truth is I didn’t believe in anything
And the bravest of souls could never cause me to see
There was enough left fighting for
And my once strong love for justice died in my sleep
And I awoke to a bleaker dawn
I never dared to love too deep, I felt             
It was foolish to let my heart bleed
It never occurred to me I was hiding             
From the most beautiful thing
And the sweetest of songs could never inspire me to see
Love in the eyes of a friend
Or God in the face of a stranger
I remained unmoved

I never dared to dream too high, I thought
I’d guard against disappointment
I never knew I had all I needed
To make real the plans in my head
And the clearest signs could never cause me to see
What I was missing out on
I was blind to all that I
Had closed my door on

I never dared to go too far, I thought
I was better off where I was
I never cared to see the world
Or have adventures of my own
And the truest of saints could never show me the way
To true contentment
I was never one to explore the mysteries
Of life or time spent

I never dared to live too much, I thought
I’d play it safe, let things fall in place
It never struck me that life was short
That there was so much left to gain
And the highest wisdom could never teach me to believe
In the impossible
I failed to grasp that I was meant for great things
If only I had known


- Aditi Verghese

0 comments: